Yes, you can feed Bearded Dragons apples. In fact, most fruit and vegetables are good for your Bearded Dragon.
Apples have a high nutritional value, dietary fiber is often used as a food supplement to help prevent bowel diseases such as constipation and diarrhea. Furthermore, apples contain antioxidants and beta-carotene, which strengthens the immune system and helps resistance to infections.
Bearded Dragons also like the taste of apples; however, you should keep in mind that too much apple is bad for them because it can cause serious stomach problems including upset stomach or indigestion.
Many pet owners feed their bearded dragons fruit such as apples as part of their diet to ensure they’re getting all the essential vitamins and minerals required for healthy growth. Check out the fruits.
What Is The Nutritional Profile in Apples?
One 100-gram serving of apples contain the following :
- Vitamin C – 15% of the daily intake.
- Dietary fiber – 2g.
- Pectin – 8g.
- Calcium – 1% of the daily intake.
- Iron – 0.6mg (3%)
- Magnesium – 12mg (1%)
Apples also contain Vitamin A, Beta carotene and antioxidants.
What Are The Benefits of Feeding My Bearded Dragon Apples?
Feeding your Bearded Dragon apples can have many benefits for your pet. Here are some of the main reasons :
- Healthy Skin: The high fiber content in apples helps keep your pet’s digestive system healthy and regular. A healthy digestive system ensures that his skin is free from problems such as mites, which cause dry skin that is itchy, flaky or loose scales.
- Intestinal Parasites: Apples are rich in pectin, a form of soluble fiber that aids digestion by attracting water to soften stools to make bowel movements easier. For this reason, feeding your bearded dragon apples can prevent intestinal parasites like coccidia (a genus of parasitic protozoa) and others because they cannot survive inside hard, dry stools.
- A Healthy Liver: Apples are rich in antioxidants, which reduce inflammation to help protect the liver from damage by toxins or other harmful substances. This helps improve your bearded dragon’s health, as well as reduce his risk of developing hepatic lipidosis (a type of disease that affects the liver).
- Healthy Digestion: The dietary fiber content in apples contributes to healthy digestion and helps prevent stomach problems such as indigestion or constipation.
- Healthy Weight Gain: High-fiber fruits like apples promote weight gain because the nutrients are absorbed slowly into your pet’s system, preventing sudden peaks and crashes in blood sugar levels. This also reduces risks associated with having an overweight dragon, including obesity-related diseases such as diabetes.
Fruits Bearded Dragons Can Consume
How to Feed Apples to Your Bearded Dragon?
To feed your Bearded Dragon apples, follow these easy steps :
- Remove the core and seeds first.
- Cut the apples into small wedges.
- Wash thoroughly before feeding to remove any pesticides or toxins.
- Cooking Apples – Cooked apples are also suitable for Bearded Dragons, but cooked fruits lose many of their nutrients in the process, so it’s advisable to feed your dragon fresh fruit whenever possible.
If you’re looking for a simple way to nourish your Bearded Dragon, then give apples a try.
What Are The Risks of Feeding My Bearded Dragon Apples?
There are however certain risks associated with feeding Bearded Dragons apples. These include :
- Diarrhea: Feeding your dragon too much apple can cause diarrhea, so always monitor the amount of fresh fruit you feed him to ensure it’s not excessive.
- Stomach Problems: Too many apples can also cause stomach problems in bearded dragons. This is especially true if you feed them cooked apples because cooking releases the pectin that assists digestion and reduces constipation, which over time loses its effectiveness when fed regularly.
- Blood Sugar Spikes: Bearded Dragon’s blood sugar levels rise after they eat fruits like apples, resulting in sudden energy highs followed by lows (hypoglycemia). Keep an eye out for signs of lethargy after feeding your dragon apples to ensure his blood sugar level is normalized.
- Other Signs of Hypoglycemia: Lethargy, sleeping more than usual, loss of appetite and weight loss.
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Apples? – The Conclusion
Apples are a healthy fruit that can be given to Bearded Dragons in moderation. In fact, they’re one of the few fruits that actually have more benefits for your pet than harm, which is why it’s advisable to give apples a try when feeding your dragon.