Who doesn’t love a delicious piece of Kiwi? I know my pet bearded dragon sure does. These omnivorous creatures eat both plants and animals, so YES, feeding your pet bearded dragon kiwi once in a while will provide many benefits that they will appreciate. Always remember though that moderation is key when it comes to the consumption of any food item no matter how healthy it may be — too much of anything is not good.
Check out the list of fruits for bearded dragons.
Nutritional Components of Kiwi
Average kiwi fruit contains the following nutrition facts:
- 33 calories
- 0 grams of fat
- 1 gram of protein
- 6.4 grams carbohydrates
- 2.6 grams dietary fibers
- 9 IU vitamin A (as beta-carotene)
Why are nutritional components important? Because they provide your bearded dragon with energy levels needed for digestion and other bodily functions.
Bearded dragons are not unlike humans when it comes to overeating fruit — they will do it if given the chance. While small amounts of fruit are good for your bearded dragon all in all too much can be detrimental to their health. The best way to avoid this is by having control over how much food your pet gets every day or week e.g.; feeding twice a week.
Benefits of Feeding My Bearded Dragon Kiwi
When it comes to your bearded dragons, they love the sweet taste of kiwi. If you have a pet that tends to not eat vegetables or greens too well, then kiwi is the perfect item for them because its taste is similar to fruit. The benefits of feeding kiwis are as follows:
- Helps prevent kidney stones
- Prevents constipation
- Provides plenty of Vitamin E
- Supplies your dragon with dietary fiber
- Health Risks Associated With Feeding Your Dragon Kiwi
Why Should Bearded Dragons Only Eat Kiwi On Special Occasions?
Kiwi is high in oxalic acid. Too much of this acid can hurt your bearded dragon’s internal organs, especially the kidneys and liver. It’s best to feed kiwis on an occasional basis no more than twice a week. Be sure to remove all traces of skin before serving it up because its high oxalic acid content is not good for the dragon. Plus, if they eat too many kiwi seeds they will suffer from intestinal problems as well as gas issues from digesting too many seeds.
Fruit List for Bearded Dragons
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Raspberries
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Apples
- Can Bearded Dragons Eat Cherry Tomatoes
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Watermelon?
Watermelon is not bad for bearded dragons as long as you remove all the rind which has very little nutritional content and is mostly made up of water…which means there won’t be much to offer when it comes to the nutritional benefit of the fruit itself. The benefits of feeding bearded dragons watermelon are as follows:
- Aids in preventing constipation
- Provides your lizard with dietary fiber
- Low in calories (only 30 calories per cup)
health risks associated with feeding your dragon watermelon include digestive issues, diarrhea or excessive gas. Again, too much seed content can be poisonous to them because watermelons also contain a lot of seeds that could cause intestinal problems and gas.
Risks of Feeding My Bearded Dragon Kiwi
Just like with any other food or fruit item that you want to include in your bearded dragon’s diet, there are some risks associated with feeding kiwi too. Some of the health risks associated with feeding kiwi include:
- Might trigger an upset stomach
- Too much vitamin C can result in diarrhea
- The biggest risk associated with kiwi is its seeds. Bearded dragons have a habit of chewing on things and if they happen to chew on the kiwi’s seeds then there could be a problem. If swallowed, the seeds will get stuck in their teeth or their throat and that can cause serious problems such as blocking their digestive tract which will result in death. Make sure you carefully pick out all the little black seeds from your kiwi before feeding it to your bearded dragon.
Another thing to note about feeding your pet bearded dragon anything other than vegetables and greens is that while these items are good for them, too much fruit/citrus might upset their natural gut flora balance. The best way to avoid this is by giving them vegetables and greens every other day to restore the balance.
Alternative Foods For Bearded Dragons
If you don’t want to feed your bearded dragon kiwi, or it’s too much of a hassle, there are tons of alternative foods you can feed him. Other options include:
- Lemons and Limes
- Peaches and Nectarines
- Honeydew Melon
- Raspberries and Blackberries
Can Bearded Dragons Eat Kiwi? – The Conclusion!
Can bearded dragons eat Kiwi? Yes, they can and it provides plenty of benefits that your pet bearded dragon will appreciate. Just remember to keep moderation in mind because too much fruit/citrus might upset their natural gut flora balance and also be sure to carefully remove all seeds before feeding kiwi to your pet.